The development of renewable energy appears to be the best way to satisfy world energy needs, which could increase by more than 50% by 2030 (World Energy Council, 2010).One of main obstacles to this necessary development is the lack of solution to convert slow motion into exploitable electric power in an effective way.
PYTHEAS TECHNOLOGY IS DEVELOPPING AN INNOVATIVE AND PATENTED POWER TAKE OFF (PTO) DEDICATED TO RENEWABLE ENERGY
The PYTHEAS Technology solution has the following characteristics :
- Constant performance at low speed and partial load, increasing the annual electricity production on a given site, for a same prime mover.
- An electrical torque not depending on rotational speed, reducing the stress on the mechanical structures.
- An electronically controllable electrical torque with millisecond precision, optimizing the dynamic behavior of the prime mover without costly and fragile mechanical control.
- PYTHEAS Technology's PTO is a synchronous generator producing DC. Therefore, it requires only one power conversion stage for the production of grid code compliant electric power.
diagram of a PTO
The solution offered by PYTHEAS Technology is positioned on the low-speed, medium-power take off market for :
- "Medium current" Marine or River Hydrokinetic (<2m/s).
- Very low head hydropower (VLH : < 1.5m).
- Wave energy.
- The wind power section is part of a long-term strategy.
One solution, severals applications.